Register

Close Viewlet event

General Tips & Tricks
Site Admin

Close Viewlet event

Postby James » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 pm

This feature was primarily added for the Standalone player (EXE). Later we added browser support for this option using Javascript. It's working well and we are able to close the window in IE and Opera, but there is bug in FF.

The correct behaviour of the close() action should be to display a warning message "The webpage you are viewing is trying to close the window".
This is working well only in IE. Opera closes the window without any warning message, and FF doesn't display a message and doesn't close the window. We found in bugzilla that this is marked as a bug in FF, so this may be fixed later by FF developers.

User

Re: Close Viewlet event

Postby ssmith0707 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:56 am

Hello,

I am having issues with the Close Viewlet Event. Regardless of IE 7, Opera, or Firefox, the viewlet will not close. (I understand from the above that it does not work in Opera or FF.)
I don't want to use the standalone player since I generate reports and reports only work with the html, correct? The reports generated are sent to my email without issue.

Any suggestions for getting the Close even to to work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Site Admin

Postby James » Tue May 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi,

If you use the Popup Launcher HTML frame, it will work better.

close.png

James

User

Postby ssmith0707 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:41 am

Hi James,

Thanks - that worked for closing the window. However, the results are not sent to my email in a report. Is there a way to keep the functionality of both?

Thanks for your help!
~Sarah

Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue May 27, 2008 1:50 pm

The popup window and email reporting are compatible. One thing to be aware of is that by default the Viewlet must reach the last frame to send the scores via email. It may be that you are using the close action such that it is preventing the Viewlet from getting to the last slide. You should be able to resolve this by adding a Submit Scores action before the close Viewlet action.
Andrew Branch

User

Postby ssmith0707 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:42 am

Hi!!

Thanks Andrew, I added the "submit scores" action and it works great.

The "close event" still will not work in IE7, only Firefox and IE6. I am using the Pop Up Launcher HTML frame. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate your help with this.

Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:55 am

You're using the popup launcher with IE too correct? If so it should work, I just tested with IE7 and it worked for me. What is your security setting for IE7. Mine is "Medium-high"
Andrew Branch

User

Postby ssmith0707 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi again,

Yes, I am using the popup launcher with IE7 and it does not work. It works fine in IE6 and Firefox. My settings in IE7 are set to Medium-High as well and I have checked to make sure the JavaScript actions are turned to enable.

I'd just use it in FF, but the school I work at promotes IE7 so that's what I have to use.
Attachments
closeEventTest.zip
Here is a quick example of what we are trying to accomplish.
(176.51 KiB) Downloaded 553 times

Site Admin

Postby James » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:01 pm

It worked for me in IE7 and FF, but I did find in the version I was testing (3.0.0) that the button to close was no longer active once the Viewlet reached the end of the slide. I'm going to make sure I have 3.0.2 installed and try again.

To test mine, run the closebtn_launcher.html file from the extracted zip and hit the close before the slide ends.

closebtntest.zip
Compiled version 3.0.0
(86.93 KiB) Downloaded 523 times

Just tested 3.0.2 and it seems to work great, so the active button issue must have been fixed.
See below the updated zip you can test.

closebtntest.zip
Compiled version 3.0.2
(87.16 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

James

User

Postby ssmith0707 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:26 am

This is great!

I have to apply for the free upgrade to version 3 since we purchased 2 in April. I'll give it a try once I get the new version installed.

Thanks SO much for your help.
~Sarah

--------------------

I got the upgrade to version. 3.0.1 - not 3.0.2. I am able to use the popup launcher html and the close button works before it hits the end of the timeline. Is there a way to get version 3.0.2? I tried to update my QuizBuilder but it said that it's up to date...

Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:07 pm

We have not released 3.0.2 to production just yet, will be available in the next couple of days.
Andrew Branch

Return to FAQs - ViewletBuilder 5.x