Register

Click areas+Drag and Drop

For version specific questions
User

Click areas+Drag and Drop

Postby ankaselivanka » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:06 am

Hello all,

I would like to ask if there is a trick that would allow to only show drag and drop items that were selected from the previous slide (using click map). Basically, we have a slide with numerous click areas where you need to click on the most preferable. Then follows a slide with drag and drop task, but we need to display only previously selected items. Maybe there are some ways to do it?

Thanks in advance!

User

Re: Click areas+Drag and Drop

Postby Qathy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:50 am

You will need to carefully plot out the flow (within your Viewlet) of some non-linear progression based on user interaction. To do this, I would not recommend using the Click Map question type since it will not allow you to progress (at least the way you want to) along to slides with drag and drop activities JUST for the selection made on that previous slide.

Here's an idea that you might want to try. I'm not sure if it will accomplish what you want since I am taking a stab at what you are looking for with final results. But, it's worth a try.

1. Create 1 slide with all the images/areas where you want the user to 'click on' for their 'preferred drag and drop' item as either images inserted on the slide or as a single background frame/image. You may already have this set up but with click map areas on the same slide. If so, remove the click map question type from the slide.

2. Create ALL of the individual drag and drop slides that your Viewlet will need for EACH of the 'preferred drag and drop' items. So, basically, you will be creating one drag and drop question type slide for each of the items from which the learner can choose from on the MASTER slide (step 1 above). Do this for all the items so they are ready and in place to go.

3. Back on the slide containing ALL the items from which the learner can choose a preferred item (step 1), you will need to do the following:

1. Add a pause zone to this slide.

• If the images are part of the background frame: Add a shape object (either a rectangle or ellipse) over the area of the slide where the learner will click. Set this shape's fill color opacity to zero and set the border width to zero. In the published project, this shape will now be invisible (we'll be using it for a clickable hotspot).

• If the images are inserted on the slide itself: We will be selecting each of these in the next step to make clickable (hotspot) images.

2. Make each of the areas/images a clickable hotspot. This step is vital as it will redirect the learner in a non-linear fashion to the appropriate drag and drop question slide (set up in step 2 above). To do this:

• Select the invisible shape object or image (whichever is applicable).
      • Click on the Events (lightning bolt) icon on the 2nd level (Context Sensitive) toolbar.
      • In the 'Events' dialog that displays, select the On Click tab.
      • Add the 'Goto Slide' action and set it to go to the appropriate slide (basically the applicable drag and drop slide if the learner clicks this item).
      • Click OK in all the open dialogs to save your settings.
      • Repeat these steps for EACH of the invisible shapes/images being used as hotspots.

3. Next, you will need to go back to each of the drag and drop slides and modify the events/actions of where the Viewlet will 'play to' or 'go to' once the learner correctly answers the drag and drop question slide OR uses up all their attempts answering incorrectly. If you don't do this, once they answer a drag and drop question slide, the default action is for the Viewlet to continue to play to the next slide (which you don't want to happen).

Above are the 'core' steps to achieve non-linear progression based on learner interaction. But, you will need to modify the design if you want the viewer to be able to 'revisit' the main slide containing all the areas/images for the learner to click on a 'preferred item' to then have the Viewlet then progress/go to the applicable slide based on the learner's 'choice' and then have the Viewlet play on to another proper slide once they finish up with the drag and drop slide, etc. This part of the design I'll leave up to you.

Again, I am not sure if this approach will work for you, but it might. Changing the click map question type slide at the beginning to a slide with individual hotspots (as previously described) setting each up with an action to progress in a non-linear fashion based on learner interaction is the key to getting the results you are looking for. I hope this information helps. Good luck.

Return to ViewletBuilder8