Register

Delay when answer responses are displayed

For version specific questions
User

Delay when answer responses are displayed

Postby Scotia » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 am

Hi,

If I create a quiz the answer responses ("Congratualtions...."; "Try again..." and "Sorry...") are displayed for about a second befor the clip moves onto the next slide.

I can't find any way to increase this to 3 or 4 seconds and I don't want to have to use very long fade in and fade out as a work around- am I missing something here?

Thanks.....

Site Admin

Re: Delay when answer responses are displayed

Postby James » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 am

Scotia,

Balloons and Notes default to Reading Speed so if you change the response to 1 word, it won't take long to display that. If you go into Project Properties and lookup Timing, you will see that there is a setting for Minimum Duration (1 second default) and Reading Speed (200 words/min default). You can adjust both of these if you want.

readingspeed.png

readingspeed2.png

You can also click on Slide Events to locate the display action for the specific message and switch the timing rule to End of Slide or Manual to override the settings.

readingspeedi.png

User

Postby Scotia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:42 am

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately increasing the minimum message duration seems to have no effect on the dispaly duration of the quiz responses, nor does slowing down the reading speed.

Setting the responses on a slide by slide basis is too time-consuming and the effects seem somewhat unpredictable if the defaults are overridden whith wsome responses simlply not displaying.

I'll look at this in more detail as soon as I can and see if I can spot something systematic but there definately seems to be issues around the quiz responses.

Site Admin

Postby James » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:14 am

Scotia,

When you change the minimum message duration setting it should auto-adjust all the timing. I tested setting it to 3 seconds and the messages stayed on the screen a minimum of 3 seconds no matter how short the text was.

I also changed the reading speed to 2 words a minute and previewed again and the message displayed for 60 seconds (I had "Try Again") as the InComplete message.

Lowering reading speed is probably going to be your best solution for an existing presentation. Change it to something dramatic like 10 words a minute just to see if it makes a difference for you. You can then adjust it up to where you like.

If you play with this with a blank slide where the messages are visible on the timeline vs hidden (since they are done via events) you can see them change as you change the rules.

User

Postby Qathy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:33 pm

May I jump in here? Sometimes if we take a quick look at how you designed your slide elements, we can isolate the issue quickly to determine if it is indeed just an authoring issue or a bug. Would you be willing to upload your file to http://www.qarbon.com/upload for us? If you do, we will not share it with anyone else. We will just take a look at it and see if we can see what is going on and provide you with some more information. Once you upload it, reply back here with the name of the file and a few of the slides you want us to look at. Thanks.

We'll need the .QVP file. To create this go to File>Create Archive and save the project out. Go to the link above and upload the file. Once you do please reply and let us know.

Kathy

User

Postby Qathy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Scotia,

In case you don't provide your project, here's what I would like to suggest you try.

1. Create a new Question Project with 2 or 3 questions.
2. Set the Scoring Mode for each to Quiz (scored).
3. Leave the default messages as they are on each slide (don't make any changes to them for this test right now).
4. Go into Project > Project Properties > Timing.
5. In the Timing section of the Project Properties dialog, force the 'Minimum Message Duration' to be set to 10 seconds (this is for this testing purpose only). Do NOT change anything else right now.
6. Click OK to close the Project Properties dialog.
7. Save your project.
8. Preview it in a browser (Ctrl+L) and see how long the feedback messages display. If all is working as expected, then they should display for 10 seconds.

This is what we mean by saying 'by default' you can set timing for 'Minimum Message Duration' to be displayed at the global level (as described) in Project Properties > Timing. This is for ALL message objects, including those used as feedback message objects. Here's what might be happening to you though...

...You may have gone into some of your messages manually and changed their Duration (in the Action window) to be something other than 'Reading Speed'. You should check this because I have a feeling that this is where the issue is occurring. If it is set to End of Slide or Manual Timing, it won't matter what you put in the Project Properties > Timing > Minimum Message Duration option because this latter works in tandem with messages set to play back based on Reading Speed.

Here's a great way to test what I mean...

Continuing on from the above steps, now select a slide itself from this project (the test one). Then...

1. Click the 'Events' (lightning bolt) icon to open the Slide Events dialog.
2. Select the 'On Incomplete' tab.
3. There should be only the one action listed, so with it highlighted already, click the Modify (pencil) icon.
4. In the 'Action' window that displays, change the 'Duration' to manual (note: you should see that it is 10 seconds...it's picking this up from your Project Properties > Timing > Minimum Message Duration setting).
5. Change the manual timing to 1 second.
6. Click OK to close the Action dialog.
7. Click OK to close the Slide Events dialog and to save this change.
8. Save the project.
9. Preview it in a browser (Ctrl+L). Go to this slide where you made the change and click the Submit button without choosing an answer so that the 'On Incomplete' feedback message displays.

...If all works as expected, it should only display for 1 second, whereas the other two feedback objects should still display for the 10 seconds.

I think if you take the time to go through these test steps you will actually figure out quicker what you did in your own project and be able to fix it. Please post back how it goes and good luck!

User

Postby Scotia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 am

Hi,

sorry for the delay - the paying job intervened :)

I can't upload the orignial quiz as I get a java.lang.NullPointerException when I try to export it as a qvp file.

I've created a test quiz as suggested but the issue remains for the first two questions. The third question behaves as expected.

For the first two questions the incomplete message and the incorrect attempt all message behave as expected. However, the correct and incorrect attempt last messages display for a seond 9or less). This occurs with the timing setting changed in teh default. If I examine the settings as suggested, everthing looks fine in the settings but the behaviour is as described above.

I'll upload the test quiz as Scotia_Short Test1.qvp and the java error as Scotia_BugReport.xml.

Other information that might be of use is that:

I have to run JRE 1.6.0_45 on my work machine,
I have a copy of Content Producer (which I think is based off ViewletBuilder 5) that I can't disable. This means that I can't assocaite qvp files with ViewletBuilder.
I am running a 32bit version of IE

I will run a test at home on a non-work machine where I can change these settings to see if that helps.

Jim

User

Postby Qathy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:31 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the files and for the additional information. I do believe you have found a bug for us. When retesting your file, it turns out that only the last message (in this case, the Correct feedback message) just flashes by no matter what setting you have for it. So, I have opened a case for it in our ticketing system (Case 58135) and have turned this over to our dev team to look further into it. As soon as we isolate the cause and have a fix for this, we will let you know.

Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Site Admin

Postby Rado » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Jim, we are currently looking into the delay issue with the correct/incorrect messages. However, I'd like to be able to track down the NullPointerException you've seen with your original quiz, while trying to save it as QVP archive. Do you still have the original project? If yes, could you please just upload the existing QVPX file to http://www.qarbon.com/upload/ ?

The errors seems to be triggered by something in the Author Profile (under Project Properties) and we'd love to see if it isn't some special character that we need to handle.

Thank you!

Rado

User

Postby Scotia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:27 am

Uploaded as NullPointerException.qvpx. You might want to take a look at the spelling on the place holder generated when you add a question from a quiz pool: "Double clidk to edit".

Jim

Site Admin

Postby Rado » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:41 am

Thank you for spotting the typo, it will be fixed in the next release, together with the message delay issue, which has already been resolved by our developers.

Site Admin

Postby Rado » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Just a quick note to let you know that all 3 issues reported here (delay issue, NullPointerException, and the typo) have been resolved by our developers, and will be fixed in the next build. Thank you for testing the beta and reporting the issues!

Return to ViewletBuilder8