Register

Randomizing quiz

For version specific questions
User

Randomizing quiz

Postby musictec » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi,
Just a quick question about randomizing quizzes.
I've created several multiple choice quizzes and clicked on the "dice" icon to "shuffle choices during playback".
On preview, my questions are still in the order I created them! :o
I would like to see my questions being presented in a random order from the sequence that I created.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

User

Re: Randomizing quiz

Postby Scotia » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:22 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if you are referring to the order in which the questions appear or the order of the answers in each question. As you mention the the die icon, I'll assume the latter.

Strange, because I am able to shuffle the order of the answers for the question types where the die icon is present. This works in both questions drawn at random from a question pool and "inline questions". I do find it strange that I'm able to randomise the order of True and False but not the order that items appear in a drop-down list or combo box.

The order in which the questions appear when drawn from a pool also seems to be randomised for me.

All I do is click on the die icon (when available) for the slide in question and there are no options for adding a question at random from a pool of questions so I can't imagine that you are doing something wrong.

User

Postby Qathy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:36 am

Here's how it works:

Question Randomization: You have to create a Question Bank and populate it with either quiz or survey slides (this is determined by the scoring mode you set for the bank). You can create one or more banks. Next, on the Main Timeline, you need to insert a 'Random Question' type slide for each question you want to pull from a specific bank (one Random Question slide per question pulled). I suggest you create Question Banks first and add questions to them THEN insert Random Question slides along the Main Timeline. When played back, the order in which the slides pulled from the banks specified with be randomly generated each time the Viewlet is played.

Choice Shuffling: This is totally different then Question Randomization and specifically refers to shuffling answers each time a question slide is played back. When you are editing a question slide, if the Dice icon is available, you can click it to enable this feature. It is not available for all response/answer choice types right now. However, we will probably enhance this feature (along with others) in future releases.

User

Postby musictec » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 am

Thanks for your reply, though, I'm not sure how one goes about creating a Question Bank?
Can't find any Question Bank selector in the menus! :)
Thanks

Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:52 am

Q,

Have you checked the user manual or attended a VB8 live webinar yet? We cover this in the overview.
If you look on your timeline there should be a Question Banks tab. Click on that and then click Add.

qb.png

If for some reason the Question Banks tab is missing go to View>Tabs>Question Banks and check it.

User

Postby musictec » Wed May 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi,

I just upgraded my VB7 to VB8 Ent and really looking forward to working with some of your newer features, particularly the Question randomizing feature! :D

After opening some of my old questions from VB7 to take advantage of this feature and testing it out, successfully, I noticed an issue:

At the end of my quiz (of 10 questions), I set it to automatically display the score for the user. In this "score card" display, there are options to Quit or Repeat the quiz. It is this Repeat feature that I've found that when I click on it to do the quiz again, the order of questions come out the same as the 1st time and does not randomize.
Only when I refresh the browser, would my quiz randomize.

I'm concerned that, when left on their own, students would naturally hit this "Repeat" button and not do a screen refresh, which would mean that their question order would come out the same?

Thanks!

Khew

User

Postby musictec » Thu May 29, 2014 1:13 am

Hi again,

Was kinda looking forward to a working set of randomizing feature, but looks like there are more issues! :-o

When I set my questions to branch out "On Correct" and "On Incorrect", to 2 different slides respectively, WHILE in Randomizing mode, the branches doesn't work.
It just continues to the next slide, as opposed to branching to the "On Correct"/"On Incorrect" branches. Is this a bug? Because this has always worked since VB5 to 6 to 7.
Does Randomizing Question negate this branching feature?

Also, on the "Shuffling answer" (Dice) feature, I realized that, in the past, I could place images to cover the text answers that were tied with the radio buttons. But it doesn't seem logical for the images to get re-shuffled if the radio buttons do, since they are not "linked" together, right?
If so, is there a way to link images to the radio buttons and have both of these re-shuffle, each time the quiz is done?

The 3rd issue, was VB8 doesn't allow you to have, for example, 10 randomized questions to be displayed with only 5 in the Question Bank. Although this may not make sense for some topics, but for those "drill type" questions, it makes perfect sense. :-)
In fact, with the shuffling of multiple choice answers and a few questions in the Bank, this would also suffice in making things random enough. :-)

My question is, are these bugs or features that are not incorporated (yet!)?
Thanks!

Khew

Site Admin

Postby Rado » Thu May 29, 2014 4:08 am

Khew, thank you very much for your feedback on ViewletBuilder8!

I'll try to answer all your questions:

1) The random order is determined when the Viewlet is first loaded, hence, when you repeat a quiz, the "randomized" order stays the same. This was a design decision, but we will think about this as it is an interesting requirement.

2) The branching (Goto Slide and Move to Slide actions) is not supported with random questions, since this could lead to unpredictable results. Unfortunately, we missed the fact that those actions are still available in the GUI (they should not be). We will fix this first, and we'll need to think about a more logical way to allow branching with random questions too.

3) The Answer Shuffling option only works with those elements that are linked - which are only the text elements associated with the individual answers, so unfortunately, any custom graphic elements will not "shuffle" right now.

4) Allowing more Random Question than the number of questions in a Question Bank is an interesting suggestion. We never really thought about this scenario, which may make sense with shuffling enabled at the same time. We will definitely consider this as an option.

Thank you again for your feedback and suggestions!

User

Postby musictec » Thu May 29, 2014 8:06 am

Hey Rado,
Thanks for the reply. Some comments:

>>1) The random order is determined when the Viewlet is first loaded, hence, when you repeat a quiz, the "randomized" >>order stays the same. This was a design decision, but we will think about this as it is an interesting requirement.
One thing though is if there is a "Repeat" button given to users, I'm sure they would naturally use this button rather than refresh the browser! So either this Repeat button should re-randomize the questions, or there should not be an option to "Allow Repeat", if this is the case.

>>2) The branching (Goto Slide and Move to Slide actions) is not supported with random questions, since this could lead to >>unpredictable results. Unfortunately, we missed the fact that those actions are still available in the GUI (they should not >>be). We will fix this first, and we'll need to think about a more logical way to allow branching with random questions >>too.
Ok, understood.

>>3) The Answer Shuffling option only works with those elements that are linked - which are only the text elements >>associated with the individual answers, so unfortunately, any custom graphic elements will not "shuffle" right now.
Understood. Makes sense. But do also note that when I used radio buttons with text, it would ONLY work when these are left in VERTICAL arrangement! I tried to change the radio buttons and text, such that they form a horizontal line, and the shuffle cannot work! This could be another bug?

>>4) Allowing more Random Question than the number of questions in a Question Bank is an interesting suggestion. We >>never really thought about this scenario, which may make sense with shuffling enabled at the same time. We will >>definitely consider this as an option.
Yes, thank you!

Khew

Site Admin

Postby Rado » Fri May 30, 2014 1:20 am

Khew, thanks again for your input. We have created individual cases in our bug/feature tracking system for all your suggestions, and are currently working on prioritizing these for the future releases.

User

Postby musictec » Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Rado,

Meanwhile, I'm trying to make do with using only the Randomizing of questions in the banks and plan to add a "Repeat this Quiz" button, at the end of it.
However, as there are no preset command to refresh the quiz (so that the questions WILL randomize), how do I do this with javascript? I do not use javascript, so am unfamiliar with its command. Could you help me with this?

In other words, I would like the user to click on the "Repeat this Quiz" button and have the whole browser refresh (such that the Randomize would work) so that the user can start the quiz over.

Thanks!

Khew

Site Admin

Postby James » Fri May 30, 2014 10:37 pm

This command works

location.reload();

refresh.png

Return to ViewletBuilder8