Register

How to Record VisualStudio session?

For version specific questions
User

How to Record VisualStudio session?

Postby lonniev » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:49 pm

I need to record an interaction with VisualStudio (2005). When I run VB5, start the capture session, and switch to VisualStudio, VB captures no VisualStudio activity. It appears that VisualStudio takes control of the keyboard mappings and so no Windows events reach VB.

Is there some way to alert VB that it should capture a screenshot when dealing with an event-stealing application such as VisualStudio? (Remapping the Hotkeys doesn't work...)
Lonnie VanZandt
Consulting Systems Engineer
Predictable Response Consulting, LLC

Site Admin

Re: How to Record VisualStudio session?

Postby Andrew » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:17 am

Hi Lonniev,

I just tested capturing a Viewlet using ViewletBuilder5 and VisualStudio 2005 on Vista and didn't have any problems. I tried both the Ctrl Key and the F6 keys for capture keys without issue.

Here are a couple of ideas that may help.

Try starting ViewletBuilder and starting a new Screen Capture Session, then start Visual Studio. This will ensure that the keyboard is hooked first by ViewletBuilder.

Try using Smart Capture, rather than Manual Capture. Smart Capture works by hooking into the mouse, rather than the keyboard.

Do you have any keyloggers running on your system that could be interfering?
Andrew Branch

User

Postby lonniev » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I started with a Smart Capture and only tried Manual Capturing because the Smart Capture caught nothing.

Perhaps this related to Vista and User Access Control? I run Vista with User Access Control enabled. As a result, I run VisualStudio's devenv.exe with RunAs Admin rights (because it needs to register DLLs etc). ViewletBuilder, I run with normal rights. However, I did try running both without and both with Admin rights and the lack of event awareness happened for both situations.
Lonnie VanZandt
Consulting Systems Engineer
Predictable Response Consulting, LLC

Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:50 pm

I've just tested with UAC turned on and didn't have any issues capturing manual screenshots of Visual Studio 2005. I don't think UAC is the issue, but Its fairly easy to turn UAC off in the control panel. You may want to try turning it off and see if that helps. Also possibly a security program or firewall could be causing issues but we have not seen this. If you still have issues, please send the log file located in C:\ProgramData\Qarbon\ViewletBuilder5\ViewletBuilder5.log after attempting to do a capture, and I can check it for errors.
Andrew Branch

User

Postby merlo777 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:43 pm

I installed ViewletBuilder 7.0.3 on Windows 2008, but Smart Capture does not work at all.
I was able to make it work with following changes to Viewlet7.exe and Capturer.exe:

Property - Compatibility (tab)
Running in compatibility mode Windows XP SP 3
Disable desktop composition
Runs this program as administrator

I hope this can help others

Return to ViewletBuilder5