Register

Designing Viewlet Progression Based on Learner Interactions

Blog posts from our famous "ViewletMarm"

Moderators: Qathy, vmarm

User

Designing Viewlet Progression Based on Learner Interactions

Postby vmarm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:35 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Viewletin
An Inside ‘Take’ on All Things Viewlet
~by ViewletMarm
ViewletBuilder8 and ViewletQuiz5 allow Viewlet Authors to design their Viewlets to progress in both linear and non-linear paths based solely on a learner's interaction. This is done through a series of design strategies using such features as 'On Click' or like events associated with specific pathing actions. Of course, there are many combinations of Events/Actions that can be used to allow learners to progress through a Viewlet along one or more paths based on their interactivity. I will talk about a few examples to get you started.

Any Action listed in the appropriate dialog can be used with any Event. The Event for our examples will be the 'On Click' event.

Move to Slide: This action can be set to progress the Viewlet either forward or backward any set number of slides.

Goto Slide: This action can be set to progress the Viewlet to a specific 'destination' slide. So, if the destination slide is moved within the project at any time while you are editing your project, the reference to this slide is automatically updated in the action intuitively by the authoring application.

Based on the above descriptions, both of these actions can be used to achieve similar results when designing LINEAR progression in a Viewlet. The problem occurs when the author uses the Goto Slide action for linear progression and then moves the destination slide for the action to a different location within the project. The Goto Slide action will ALWAYS reference (or point to) the original specified 'destination' slide no matter where it is moved within the project.

Here's an example of when this confusion might occur and how to avoid it.

LINEAR PROGRESSION EXAMPLE
I want to put a 'Continue' button on slide 1 in my project. The first slide will also contain a Pause Zone so that it forces the viewer to interact with the Viewlet in order to continue. When the learner clicks the Continue button, I want the Viewlet to play on to the next slide, which in this example would be slide 2.

1. Select the Continue button.

2. Click the Events icon to open the Button Events dialog.

3. For the On Click event, click the green plus icon to Add an action.

4. Select the Move to Slide Action. DO NOT use the Goto Slide action.

5. Set the options to Move 'Forward' 1 slide.

6. Click OK until you close all the open dialogs to apply the settings to the button.

Now, when the learner clicks the Continue button, no matter what slide is in the 'slide 2' position in your project, the learner, will move 1 slide forward (from slide 1 to slide 2).

NON-LINEAR PROGRESSION EXAMPLE
I want to put a 'Continue' button on slide 1 in my project. The first slide will also contain a Pause Zone so that it forces the viewer to interact with the Viewlet in order to continue. When the learner clicks the Continue button, I want the Viewlet to go to (jump to) a specific slide within the Viewlet (no matter where it resides within the project at any time).

1. Select the Continue button.

2. Click the Events icon to open the Button Events dialog.

3. For the On Click event, click the green plus icon to Add an action.

4. Select the Goto Slide Action. DO NOT use the Move to Slide action.

5. Select the 'destination' slide (the slide you want the learner to go to when the Continue button is clicked).

6. Click OK until you close all the open dialogs to apply the settings to the button.

Now, when the learner clicks the Continue button, the Viewlet will jump to (go to) the selected as the 'destination' slide set up in the Goto Slide action. And, if you later decide to move the 'destination' slide to another location within your project, you do not need to edit the action since the reference to the 'destination' slide will automatically be updated by the authoring application.

events_actions.png

Learn more about designing progression elements for learners using the Move to Slide vs. the Goto Slide actions by clicking on a video in the format of your choice.

Watch on PCs

Watch on Mobile Devices

Remember, the design strategies shown in this post are just ONE OF MANY that you can use when you work with Events/Actions to allow learners to progress in linear and non-linear fashions based on their interactions with your Viewlet.

That's it for this blog.

Until next time...
Happy Viewleting!

~ViewletMarm~

Return to The Viewletin