Register

Portable Licenses

Blog posts from our famous "ViewletMarm"

Moderators: Qathy, vmarm

User

Portable Licenses

Postby vmarm » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:07 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Viewletin
An Inside ‘Take’ on All Things Viewlet
~by ViewletMarm

I am amazed at how many Viewlet Authors (most with a single user license) buy a new computer and forget to remove their license from their Viewlet Authoring software (ViewletBuilder or ViewletQuiz) on their old system. When they install the software on the new computer and go to activate the license again, they, of course, are not able to do this because it is showing on our servers as still being activated on a different computer. Then, unfortunately, they have to waste time contacting Qarbon, losing a little bit more time while our licensing staff researches the activity on their license, and (if all is fine), our staff resolves the issue remotely, allowing the Viewlet Author to then activate the same license on their new machine.

There also seems to be an increase in the number of Viewlet Authors asking "Can I move my license from my desktop to my laptop?" (or something similar). The answer is always, "Yes, but make sure you deactivate it FIRST on the current computer that it is activated on..."

So, in this post, I want to revisit the topic of not only license activation, deactivation and reactivation. I also want to address another, perhaps less common issue--how to activate your license on a computer WITHOUT INTERNET ACCESS (there's a post I will point you to on this last scenario at the end of this blog).

Let's start with instructions for how to move your license from one computer to another.

License Deactivation
We are starting here since we are assuming you want to move your license from a computer on which it is already activated to another computer.

deactivation.png
deactivation.png (19.21 KiB) Viewed 1827 times

1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet.

2. Open your Viewlet Authoring application.

3. Select Help > License Deactivation.

4. In the dialog that opens, follow the steps to deactivate your license.

5. Click the Finish button to close the dialog.

Once the license is deactivated, you can then activate it again on another computer.

License Activation

activation.png
activation.png (19.97 KiB) Viewed 1827 times

1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet.

2. Open your Viewlet Authoring application.

3. Select Help > License Activation.

4. In the dialog that opens, follow the steps to activate your license.

5. Click the Finish button to close the dialog.

To learn more about the license activation and deactivation process, check out one of these videos (in the format of your choice) for more information:

View on Laptop/PC

View on Mobile Device

Offline Activation
Finally, as I stated earlier in this post, there is another, less common issue. If you need to activate your license on a computer that does NOT have access to the Internet, check out the steps to do this, posted by James (thanks, James!) elsewhere in this forum.

That's it for this blog.

Until next time...
Happy Viewleting!

~ViewletMarm~

Return to The Viewletin