Register

Student Assignments & Tracking (ViewletCentral)

Blog posts from our famous "ViewletMarm"

Moderators: Qathy, vmarm

User

Student Assignments & Tracking (ViewletCentral)

Postby vmarm » Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Viewletin
An Inside ‘Take’ on All Things Viewlet
~by ViewletMarm

Attention all ViewletCentral users! As promised in an earlier post, here are some tips on creating student profiles, assigning content and tracking learner progress. Read on...

Creating student profiles, tracking learner progress, etc. is actually a multi-stage process, which can be accomplished in various ways. I will provide an outline for all the necessary steps you will need to complete (in any order) and you can take it from there.

STEP 1. - Create Student Accounts
  1. In ViewletCentral, you need to create Student accounts. This is done by going to 'My Account' from the menu bar and then select the 'Users' tab.
  2. In the 'Users' tab, click the 'New' button.

users01.png

3. Fill in the fields requested, set the Profile to 'Student' from the drop-down list and then click the 'Create user' button.

users02.png

You may see another screen or so that confirms the new user was created and then you will be returned to the list of users. Review the list to make sure the new user is on it. Repeat these steps for EACH new student you want to have added to your ViewletCentral account.

Note: An automated email will be sent to the email to inform the new user they are now a student on your ViewletCentral account.

STEP 2. - Assignments
Now, this step can be handled a few different ways with the same results. The bottom line here is to make the Viewlets you want to have the students review PRIVATE (meaning only those assigned to the Viewlet will be able to access it) and to assign the Viewlet(s) to the student. I will point out one way to do this here and the tutorials may show you a different way.

1. Select 'My Viewlets' from the menu bar.
  2. Along each of the line of Viewlets in the list, you will see a bunch of icons. The third from the left is a lock. If this lock is open, this means that ANYONE can access this Viewlet because it is public. If the lock is closed, it means that only those assigned to the Viewlet (like students within your account) can access the Viewlet because the URL is locked down to be private. This icon toggles back and forth. Click the icon along the Viewlets that you want to make Private for students use only.

url_privacy.png

NOTE: You do NOT have to make a Viewlet Private in order to assign it to a student in your account. This is just a recommended best practice.
  3. Next you have to assign the Viewlet to your student. There are actually multiple ways to do this, but I will show you two:

1. To assign a single Viewlet to one or more students, from the 'My Viewlets' screen, click on the second icon to the right of the Viewlet. This icon is called 'Manage Assignments'. This will take you to another screen. On the next screen, select one or more students from the list and then click the 'Assign Selected' button. This will then take you to a page called Viewlet Assignments and you will see a list of all the students (old and new) that are currently assigned to that Viewlet along with the completion/pass-fail status.

assignments_single01.png

2. Another way to assign multiple Viewlets is to select multiple Viewlets on the My Viewlets page by selecting the checkbox next to each desired Viewlet you want to assign. Then, click the 'Assign' button. On the next, 'Batch Assignments' page, select the students you want to assign to these Viewlets and click the 'Assign Selected' button. If successful, you will be returned to the 'My Viewlets' page.

assignments_multiple01.png

To View Student Progress
You can view the progress of your students now easily as they take part in their assignments by checking their progress. To do this:

1. In the 'My Account' screen, select the 'Users' tab.
  2. Click the second icon (magnifying glass), this is the User Details & Assignments icon along the line of the desired user.

userdetailsassignments.png

3. This will take you to that specific 'User's' page where you will see details as well as assignments, etc.

Use the steps above to set up student profiles for all of your learners. Once you do that, you can then process single or multiple assignments for your learners and then track their progress. Check out this tutorial, for a video on this topic.

That's it for this blog.

Until next time...
Happy Viewleting!

~ViewletMarm~

Return to The Viewletin