Happy Viewleting & Happy Holidays from Qarbon

Blog posts from our famous "ViewletMarm"

Moderators: Qathy, vmarm

Happy Viewleting & Happy Holidays from Qarbon

Postby vmarm » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:35 am

The Viewletin
An Inside ‘Take’ on All Things Viewlet
~by ViewletMarm
Viewlet Authors know Viewlets are an essential part of their eLearning resources, but...

...did you know that Viewlets also make for a great online card or special holiday greeting? Later in this post, you will see a simple example of how you can use ViewletBuilder8 in a very pleasant and unexpected way. But, first, let me gift you with some of the steps I did to create this online card:

Festive Viewlet Card
1. ViewletBuilder has a lot of 'effects' that you can use to create some great visuals, but I wanted to keep it simple. So, I started with a Video Capture project and captured about 10 seconds of a custom animated GIF file that I designed. I converted it to a video project.

2. Inside ViewletBuilder, I played back the video I just captured (featuring my custom animated GIF) and used the 'Split Slide' tool on the timeline to split the slide in strategic places to 'trim off the excess fat' that I didn't need in it.

3. Next, I used the 'Resize Project' feature to make the slide size just a bit bigger (in this case, I made the Viewlet wider than the original capture size.

4. My next step was to add additional elements to the video layer at specific intervals. For example, I added a static image of Qarbie dressed up with his festive hat starting at the zero point on the timeline and set this image to last for the entire slide. Additionally, I also added some 'greeting' text along the timeline with some Fade Animation effects applied.

5. I didn't stop there, once I had my design created and previewed it until it played the way I wanted it to, I then went ahead and took this a step further. I published out the slide background and as image. Then, I added a new blank slide at the beginning of the project, embedded the 'exported' background frame from the original slide to be the 'static' background frame on this now first slide. Then, I added a 'green filled' rectangle over the slide with an opacity set to 80%.

6. I then duplicated the second slide several times. After this, I then merged all of the duplicate slides with the second (original) slide into one 'master' second slide.

7. I set both slides to use a 'Fade' slide transition for even better effects.

8. In Project Properties, I added a simple sound track clip, set the Viewlet to Loop and used a 'Simple' ViewletSkin, among other things.

What a beautiful holiday greeting card this made!

greetings_from_qarbon.gif (34.37 KiB) Viewed 5098 times

The attachment actions.gif is no longer available

True, this is just a holiday card, but consider this. You can take some of the techniques I used in making this simple card and, by applying them to your own Viewlet, improve your own eLearning videos too. Now that's priceless!

Qarbon wishes all you a very Happy Holiday Season. Please click on one of the links below to view a special Viewlet eCard from us to you:

Watch on PCs

Watch on Mobile Devices

Be safe, stay warm and Happy Viewleting!

That's it for this blog.

Until next time...
Happy Viewleting!

Return to The Viewletin