Register

Size Matters When It Comes to Viewing Preferences

Blog posts from our famous "ViewletMarm"

Moderators: Qathy, vmarm

User

Size Matters When It Comes to Viewing Preferences

Postby vmarm » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:14 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Viewletin
An Inside ‘Take’ on All Things Viewlet
~by ViewletMarm

I don't know how many times I've worked with Viewlet Authors over the past 10+ years in my various webinars, workshops, helping with design projects and such, and one important design element is more times than not overlooked. What might this be? Well, let me tell you. It has to do with looking at your Viewlets through the eyes of your audience.

Ask yourself this question BEFORE you start building your videos in ViewletBuilder8 or ViewletQuiz5: "What target device will my viewers be using to watch my Viewlets?" Once you know this, many factors should come to mind with regards to the design aspect of your Viewlet now, including the viewing size. Many times, authors either totally disregard the ramifications of the size chosen (width and height of the slide size) for their videos or don't even think about it due to authoring newbie-ness. This can be a total turnoff to your viewers and a fatal authoring mistake.

The viewing size is important to viewers. So, if you know that the majority of your audience will be watching your eLearning assets on either a desktop, average size laptop or even a bigger tablet, then you could probably get away with design your Viewlets at a larger slide size. However, if your target viewing demographic is smaller monitors and mobile devices such as mini-tablets and smart phones, you should take a second look at your design approach and create a slide size more appropriate for these smaller target devices. However, what do you do if you've already created a bunch of video assets BUT they are not the right size? Not to worry, ViewletBuilder8 and ViewletQuiz5 may have some solutions for you.

resize.png

Qarbon's authoring apps offer you the opportunity to change the size of your Viewlet WITHOUT reshooting it. Keep in mind, these solutions work fine in most cases, but there may be some exceptions--which I'll touch on briefly.

AUTHORING ENVIRONMENT CHANGES
This is the recommended approach because what you design is what the viewer will ultimately view in the published file. In ViewletBuilder8 and ViewletQuiz5, there is an option that allows you to resize the slide area of your Viewlet. And, it doesn't stop there. This feature allows allows you to choose some additional options such as scaling various slide elements in relation to the resized slide area automatically. This saves you a lot of re-authoring work and, as a result, once your source project's slide size is resized, most of the time you just have some minor tweaking to do to make it work and you're ready to publish.

Take a look at how to do this in the video format of your choice:

Watch on PCs

Watch on Mobile Devices

SCALING THE PUBLISHED FILE
If you just want to allow your viewers the ability to dynamically scale the published video on playback, you can set these options in Project Properties. To do this, select File > Project Properties from the menu bar. In the Project Properties dialog that displays, select Viewlet Options > General tab. In the 'Display Size' area, you have several options for how the Viewlet will display in a browser. NOTE: Whenever you scale your published Viewlet in the browser, the viewer may experience some degree of image degradation due to scaling, so keep this in mind if you decide to use this approach.

Now that you know how, remember to design appropriately and keep your audience's viewing preferences in mind for all your Viewlets!

That's it for this blog.

Until next time...
Happy Viewleting!

~ViewletMarm~

Return to The Viewletin