Register

Smooth Start Tip #4: The two most common mistakes

General Tips & Tricks
Jim

Smooth Start Tip #4: The two most common mistakes

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:17 pm

The two most common mistakes in Viewlet creation are:

1. Capturing the screenshots at a resolution too large for those who will be viewing them. Since our viewing audience is the general public, we capture our projects at no larger than 800 x 600. Otherwise some of the audience may not see the entire Viewlet (imagine trying to watch a movie and you have to scroll around to see the entire image while it runs).

Important note: If authors are sharing slides from each others' projects, or you want bring slides in from your other projects, they all must be at the same resolution.

So experiment a bit with resolution at first - keeping your intended audience in mind - and settle on a standrd resolution for all of your projects.

2. Covering too much subject matter in one Viewlet. Online content - like Viewlets - is best kept to "bite-size" increments so that the viewer's attention span can be optimized (usually less than 5 minutes). It is best to make a series of Viewlets rather than a few very large Viewlets. Qarbon's online tutorials are a good model for this:
http://www.qarbon.com/help/

Another advantage of taking a smaller-is-better approach is that project and Viewlet size is kept to a manageable level.

Having said that, you can make very long Viewlets - we've seen successful Viewlets over 30 minutes long!

Experiment and have fun!

Jim

User

Viewlet capture screen size

Postby Jill » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:43 am

This is a great tip. I'm sorry I didn't read it a couple of hours ago!

I decided to make my first Viewlet at 1024x768 as 90% of our users have this or higher resolution. When I compiled it, my browser toolbars made it scrollable.

Question: Can you change the Viewlet resolution after it has been compiled? If not, is there a way of moving the comments to another project, ie after I have re-taken the screengrabs?

Thanks
Jill
http://www.mcresearch.co.uk

Jim

Viewlet capture screen size

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:06 am

Yes. You can change resolution after capture, however, you may find that doing so diminishes the image quality.

To change the resolution of your published Viewlet (this will not change the property in your project file) change the Viewlet Dimensions (say to 800 x 600) in the Extras part of the Compile Properties option under Viewlet in the upper menu.

Then view the published Viewlet in your browser to see if the image quality looks ok to you.

You might want to create a second project capturing just a few screenshots again, but at the proper resolution, publish a second Viewlet, and compare the two. This will help you decide whether or not to recreate the entire Viewlet at a better resolution.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

User

Diminished quality

Postby Jill » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:37 am

Thanks Jim.

Yep, you're right. The quality suffers somewhat - quite fuzzy and difficult to read the balloons. And as most of my users have super dooper big screens, then this will be an issue.

See what happens when you RTFM and don't take the advice of said manual nor forum tips?!

No probs, I just created a new one. At least I found this out now rather than after the 100th viewlet!

Thanks
Jill

User

Postby dave » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:37 am

I've found not capturing the whole screen but a screen area of something like 950x650 is a good compromise. It gives you enough space to work in with most apps, but also allows viewers on 1024x768 monitors to have a nearly fullscreen movie without scrollbars.

If you launch your popup html window everything except scrolling turned off, the playerbar never disappears below the bottom of the window.

It's worth testing your chosen resolution in alternative browsers, in FF you can disable javascripts ability to remove the status bar at the bottom of the window. A 950x650 capture with standard player bar still remains viewable without scrolling when this occurs.

Return to FAQs - ViewletBuilder 4.x