Register

Creating accessible viewlets

Questions regarding the authoring of Viewlets, installation or possible bugs with our products. For urgent issues, please use our support form on our website: http://www.qarbon.com/help/helpme.php
User

Creating accessible viewlets

Postby thirob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Does anyone have any experience with creating a non-audio viewlet for the visually impaired? (I don't want to include an audio portion because of translation issues.)

If ViewletBuilder does not provide this functionality, are there any known workarounds?

Thanks in advance.

Site Admin

Postby James » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 pm

We are building a Closed Caption (CC) skin to allow you to display the slide notes on playback as one option. We are also looking at adding additional screen reader capabilities for 508 compliance.

User

Re: Creating accessible viewlets

Postby thirob » Thu May 15, 2008 8:42 am

James,

Now that I see v6 Pro is out (congrats, by the way, on the release!), I'm wondering: will Closed Captioning be added to v5.0.15 or will you be adding it exclusively to v6?

Regards,
Robert

Site Admin

Postby James » Thu May 15, 2008 9:02 am

Hi,

The skin should work with both VB5 and VB6, but I would need to confirm that the backend part needed will work in v5.

If there is an issue and you don't want to upgrade to v6 for some reason, then I will work with you to resolve.

Here is mock up of what it might look like:

skin_cc.zip
(939.85 KiB) Downloaded 559 times

James

speich

Postby speich » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:24 am

I am using VB 6.0.3. Has the CC_skin been released yet? If so, is there any documentation on how to use it and exactly what it will broadcast (i.e. will is broadcast callout and text box text?) We typically don't use audio in our task demos because of translation.

What other enhancemets are available for 508 compliance? With Flash 8 support, will a screen reader pick up on the callout and text box elements in the Viewlet itself?

Site Admin

Postby James » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:39 am

We haven't released this custom skin yet. The idea would be to populate the Slide Notes field and the skin would pull that information and display it
in a CC type format. If you are using Balloons and Notes, then you could communicate with hearing impaired viewers that way too. This design was for those who have a slide with an audio track only that wanted to be able to turn the CC text version on using a button.

User

Postby continentalop » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Do you have any idea when the skin with closed captioning will be available?

Due to overwhelming demand, we recently switched from silent tutorials to narrated tutorials. However, some people still want to be able to view the tutorials without the audio narration. Being able to use a skin with closed-captioning would be a huge help.

Site Admin

Postby James » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Hello,

Let me look into this. I think its still planned for a 7.0 release...we still have a few more coming.

James

User

Postby thirob » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:31 am

James,

I think you're going to see more and more requests for this; along with open-source, a lot of RFPs requires full accessibility compliance. Would it be more expedient to post this as a feature request?

Kindest regards to you and the team,
Robert

Site Admin

Postby James » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 am

Thirob,

No need...we have plenty of open feature requests for 508.

James

Site Admin

Postby James » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 am

Greetings,

We have some new accessible viewlet skins that screen readers like JAWS can navigate via TAB and read the labels via Text to Speech. Please contact me via Private Message if you would like to test/review these and provide feedback.

James

User

Postby Jovana » Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi,

Just curious if this is still in the works... It's pretty much exactly what we're looking for. It would definitely solve a lot of the issues our users are having with the rollover CC option that we've resorted to.

Thanks!

James wrote:Hi,

The skin should work with both VB5 and VB6, but I would need to confirm that the backend part needed will work in v5.

If there is an issue and you don't want to upgrade to v6 for some reason, then I will work with you to resolve.

Here is mock up of what it might look like:

skin_cc.zip

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x202 ... mple23.swf

James

Site Admin

Postby James » Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Jovana,

We implemented the Close Caption (CC) scrolling text in ViewletBuilder8. We created a new object that you can apply to your screen and move it around so you are in control of the position, text, etc. The old design will not be implemented as this is better and more flexible than having it revolve around the flash skin layer.

We also added a CC option for each sound so you can time the text with the audio yourself.

Here are some screenshots.

CC_Object.png

CC_editor.png

User

Postby Jovana » Mon May 27, 2013 7:39 am

This is great news, James! When can we expect the release of VB8?

Also, about the new Closed Captioning option - how will the CC appear when publishing the Viewlet as a PDF? It would be great if the CC for each respective slide could appear on the PDF version as well.

Site Admin

Postby James » Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 am

Jovana,

Stay tuned for pre-release announcements on VB8 in our Newsletters.

The CC implementation is dynamic so I'm not sure how it will work in offline situations (PDF, Word, etc).

I will certainly ask.

Return to General Discussions