Register

selecting (and deleting) multiple background frames

Questions regarding the authoring of Viewlets, installation or possible bugs with our products. For urgent issues, please use our support form on our website: http://www.qarbon.com/help/helpme.php
User

selecting (and deleting) multiple background frames

Postby michael_n » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello,
I've created a smartly-captured set of slides. It's a programming demo, so it's almost all typing; very little mouse-works. On a single slide, just about each keystroke is captured. Each of these keystrokes become a background frame. A single slide might have 40 to 60 or more background frames.

Now, the playback is just a little bit sleep-inducing. I'd like to speed things up, but not just crank up the typing playback speed.

On some of these slides (but not all), I'd like to delete *all* the background frames between the first and last frame. Basically, on specific slides (but not all), I'd like to *not* have the typing played back for each keystroke, but instead have the whole sentence appear at once.

Presently I have to go into the background frame window and click "x" on each and every background frame I want to delete. That's like 60 clicks per slide, and I have hundreds of slides. I can't even press "delete" or "backspace", and I can't select multiple frames at once to delete. (I'm getting serious carpal tunnel).

As a concrete example, I'm recording a coding session, and I'd like "code" to be typed out, but "comments" (in the code) just to appear: (I've added spaces so you can visualize the speed at which the characters are played back):

[typing played back] => i n t x = 3 2 ;
[whole line pasted ] => /* on the next line, declare another variable */
[typing played back] => i n t y = 3 3 ;

The first and third lines are "typed" in playback mode. But the whole second like should just "appear" (with maybe a second delay afterwards).
But I'm not sure how to get rid of all the typing without deleting all the background frames, one at a time, on that second slide.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Michael

Site Admin

Re: selecting (and deleting) multiple background frames

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:42 am

A couple of ideas.

You could use manual capture, instead of smart capture. Then just hit the capture key when a relevant amount of text was captured. So perhaps just capture after you've typed a complete line of code. Then it would be a lot more zippy on playback.

If you're running ViewletBuilder7 you could use Video (aka Live) Capture . Then if there are areas you want to remove, such as during comments, you could just crop this out, by splitting the slide before and after the area to remove and deleting the slide with the typing you don't want.

Here's an example of both:
http://www.viewletcentral.com/vc/viewlet/818019788/
Andrew Branch

Site Admin

Postby James » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Andrew,

I was thinking one nice feature to support would be allowing the background frame manager to allow you to hold the shift key and then scroll down towards the end and click another frame and have it multi-select all those frame for a quick X delete. Right now it looks like you can only click one at a time to delete. The same is true on the timeline if you wanted to click a frame with the shift key held and click another farther along hoping it might multi-select those too.

Just an idea.

James

Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:37 pm

With ViewletBuilder7 you can use slide splitting of smart capture slides to basically get the same effect. Make one split at the start of the frames you want to remove and another at the end, and then delete the slide containing the frames you don't want.
Andrew Branch

Site Admin

Postby James » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:42 pm

You could do it that way too I guess.

James

Return to General Discussions