Register

HTML5 converter?

Questions regarding the authoring of Viewlets, installation or possible bugs with our products. For urgent issues, please use our support form on our website: http://www.qarbon.com/help/helpme.php
User

HTML5 converter?

Postby musictec » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:24 am

Hi,
With so much talk about "Apps" and such, was wondering if there are any plans to make VB compilations iPhone/iPod/iPad compatible in your future versions of VB? ;-) In other words, HTML5 compatible? :-D

Site Admin

Re: HTML5 converter?

Postby James » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:38 am

Yes / Probably ViewletBuilder8 if not sooner.

User

Postby TomasD » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:29 am

Is there any update on HTML5 converter availability ?
With the latest Adobe decision to kill the mobile Flash platform it is becoming an absolute must.
We are currently evaluating ViewletBuilder 7 and we like it more than Adobe Captivate, but Adobe already provides Captivate .swf convertor to HTML5.

If there is no HTML5 output / converter available at least in beta vesrion before the end of this year, we will have to go with Adobe Captivate.

Regards

Tomas

Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East & India

Site Admin

Postby James » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Tomas,

What is most important to you in regards to HTML5? Do you need the interactivity aspect or just want to be able to run the Viewlets on an iPhone/iPad?
If you can live with non-interactive Viewlets we can do that by compiling to .mp4 and creating the HTML wrapper with the video tag to launch it.

I don't know enough about the .swf to HTML5 converter you talk about and what you are able to get from it.

I CAN tell you that were were already working on the HTML5 options prior to the announcement from Adobe. Depending on your requirements, we might
be able to meet your needs.

James

User

Postby musictec » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Tomas,

I'm a long time user of Viewlet Builder (like 12 years!!)
Would like to hear your views on Captivate as I've often wondered what's on the "other side" and if there are any areas it is stronger in (besides the HTML5 converter) compared to VB.
VB has served me really well over these years but I've never "experienced" another software that is similar. Though I'm not thinking of jumping ship anytime in the near future!! Support has been really good too here! :-)
Thanks

Khew

TomasD wrote:Is there any update on HTML5 converter availability ?
With the latest Adobe decision to kill the mobile Flash platform it is becoming an absolute must.
We are currently evaluating ViewletBuilder 7 and we like it more than Adobe Captivate, but Adobe already provides Captivate .swf convertor to HTML5.

If there is no HTML5 output / converter available at least in beta vesrion before the end of this year, we will have to go with Adobe Captivate.

Regards

Tomas

Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East & India

User

Postby mrdale » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Hello, all.

TomasD wrote:Is there any update on HTML5 converter availability ?

Regards

Tomas

I have had thoughts along the same lines. However, consider the following.
----------
The enhancement of HTML5 to deliver the full gamut of Flash capabilities will likely take time. Adobe’s dropping of only mobile Flash Player development suggests we’ll see a good subset of Flash’s capabilities available to mobile platforms but there will likely be limitations. For desktop browsers, Adobe is continuing to bank on the Flash plug-in to create rich web experiences. (ref. http://onehourselfpub.com/flash-dead)
----------
There are many applications of Viewlets (education for one) that are not going to be very usable on mobile devices, IMHO.

Best regards,
Dale

User

Postby jpri11 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 am

I know you were talking about including this capability in VB 8, but did you get it in there earlier and end up adding it into VB 7?
Currently working as a computer tech at computer repair ri!

Site Admin

Postby James » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 am

VB8 would be the release this would end up in.

Return to General Discussions