Register

MAC OS Kanji Selection

Questions regarding the authoring of Viewlets, installation or possible bugs with our products. For urgent issues, please use our support form on our website: http://www.qarbon.com/help/helpme.php
User

MAC OS Kanji Selection

Postby abbeees » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Hey All,
I just recently switched from PC to MAC. I'm loving my Mac, but I'm finding the Kanji input software lacking in comparison to the PC's.The problem is that when I type in the hiragana for certain kanji words, the word does not appear at the top of the Kanji list that appears below the hiragana. In other words, the dictionary in the Kanji input system on this OS has a very small vocabulary. As a result, I have to find the individual components of the kanji word myself in order to build the word, which is very time consuming.

For example, if I type heikou へいこう、I should get the option to select the Kanji 平衡 from the list that pops up below my input. Instead, I have to find the two component Kanji individually by typing taira to get 平, and then typing a word like kinkou to get 均衡 erase the 均、and then stick the remaining 衡 together with 平. This is a frustrating and time consuming process. 平衡 is not a particularly rare word either, so the kanji input software ought to know it.

Site Admin

Re: MAC OS Kanji Selection

Postby Andrew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:29 pm

I think this is more of an Operating System issue than something ViewletQuiz specific. I'm not sure we can help you.
Andrew Branch

User

Re: MAC OS Kanji Selection

Postby Cherio11 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 am

I currently live in Japan and my wife is Japanese. My wife uses Windows at work but uses OS X at home. She often complains that Window's Kanji choices are much better than OS X's Kanji choices. Kanji are Chinese characters that Japanese use. When typing Japanese using OS X, first you type the word you want in Hiragana or Katakana (the two Japanese Alphabet systems) and then if you want to use a Kanji character you hit the spacebar and a small list of possible Kanji characters will show up, then you can choose the one that you want. The problem is, my wife complains that the Kanji that show up at the top of the list are usually not common Kanji and she has to scroll through the list to find the one that she wants. Windows, she says, has the common Kanji listed at the top and it learns from your use so that the more used a Kanji is, then it will appear at the top of the list.

I don't use Japanese myself and so I have no idea if there is a setting that will tell OS X to learn from a users Kanji selections or if there is another system that I can choose from other than the standard Kanji selection system that comes bundled with OS X? I believe there is another Kanji input system called ATOK but it is something that you have to buy and install (I was hoping for a free solution, if possible).

Has anyone else here had any experience with Kanji selection using OS X? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Discussions